METACAM® (meloxicam oral suspension) is a veterinary prescription non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that helps control pain and inflammation associated with osteoarthritis (OA) in dogs 6 months and older. METACAM is FDA-approved to help dogs who suffer from a degenerative and inflammatory joint condition.
NSAIDs, such as METACAM, improve your dog’s overall mobility by relieving joint pain and inflammation. Similar to human osteoarthritis (OA), canine OA is a condition in which one or more joints become inflamed and painful and may even be swollen.
The most common risk factors contributing to the development of OA include increasing age (especially geriatric dogs) and obesity. Other risk factors include:
- Early nutrition and growth rates
- Levels of exercise
- Developmental diseases like hip dysplasia
- Physical trauma or injury e.g., torn cruciate ligament
- Breed predisposition, particularly larger-sized dogs
If your dog has OA, they may exhibit signs including:
- Limping or lameness
- Reluctance to run or climb stairs
- Stiffness or decreased movement of joints
METACAM comes in a liquid formulation, so it’s easy for you to administer the precise effective dose possible recommended by your veterinarian using the syringe that is provided in the box. Ask your veterinarian about METACAM for dogs living with OA pain to help them find relief and get them back to doing the things they love.
- Provides once daily dosing, METACAM provides relief to dogs suffering from pain and inflammation associated with osteoarthritis.
- Oral suspension comes with a graduated syringe, with weight measurements, that allows for the correct amount of medication to be easily and accurately dispensed.
- Palatable formulation that can be applied directly on the dog’s food
- Can be titrated down to the lowest effective dose
- Safe to use in dogs over the age of 6 months.
Your veterinarian will carefully consider the
potential benefits and risk of METACAM® (meloxicam oral suspension) and
other treatment options before deciding to use METACAM. Use the lowest
effective dose for the shortest duration consistent with individual response. METACAM
should be administered initially at 0.09 mg/lb. (0.2 mg/kg) body weight only on
the first day of treatment. For all treatments after day 1, METACAM should be
administered once daily at a dose of 0.045 mg/lb. (0.1 mg/kg). The syringe is
calibrated to deliver the daily oral maintenance dose in pounds. Please note:
Using the weight of your dog, and noting the dose concentration of the METACAM,
use the full
determine how to draw up the dose (syringe or dropper) and administer the dose
(directly into the mouth or mixed in with the food).